Sunday, June 14, 2015

HP Challenge Day 1 and Sorcerer's Stone review

I have been doing pretty well on the Harry Potter Challenge so far.  I finished the first book, and got 75 percent through the second one before my  first 24 hours were up.  Now we're on the second day, and I've finished the second book, hoping to finish the third by the day's end.  So far, I haven't had to forgo food or sleep, and I've even fit in some social events, so I am darn proud!

My friend Bea didn't start with as strong a plan as mine, and she only read the first book on the first day.  That's fine, but I hope her reading rate accelerates enough to read all of the seventh book on the seventh day - it's a long one!

If you're joining us and you've only read the first book, or haven't even finished it yet, don't give up!  I noticed that the first book took me longer to read than the second because there's just so much information to cover.  The second has more action, and you know the third has even more! 

Poppy's Review of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling:
Wow.  Sorcerer's Stone is fantastic.  Rowling takes us to a magical place and makes us believe in it - REALLY believe in it.  Rowling makes us love Harry and so many other characters.  I felt like this book was as short as it could be - no fluff at all.  Rowling tells us the exact basics to help us understand what's going on in the wizarding world and the bare minimum of events and characters to set up all the other books.  It is an amazing stand alone book and the clues in it that set up the rest of the series are brilliant.  Can we just take a minute to marvel at the game of Quidditch?  There are so many things that are genius about this book.  If you've only watched the movie, you are really missing out.  Five Poppies for content, five Poppies for brevity.  TEN out of ten Poppies. 

P.S.  I would love to do a graphic organizer for the Harry Potter series someday, but I just can't during the Harry Potter Challenge.  I'm not that powerful a wizard ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment